Reviewing the Uniify UV002 Verge VR
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EYB1AGS ($38.99 / prime)
Also sold as the BoBo VR Z4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EBR8YKU ($38.99 / prime)
- This thing is only $40, and quite a value for being only $40.
- It fits nicely on the head with some adjustment. The weight seems to be more evenly distributed than other headsets I have tried.
- Field of view. Unlike the shinecon which feels like i'm staring down a periscope, this takes up nearly my entire field of vision.
- More natural feeling. Not sure if this makes any sense, but with some VR headsets, it feels like there is a great deal of pressure involved in forcing your eyes to look at a 3d scene, and I just don't get that with this headset.
- It has a goddamn button! Now you can play all those cardboard games and apps without taking your phone out of your HMD.
- Integrated speakers, volume switch, and answer call button really adds some class and keeps you immersed.
- Air gap between the phone and the outside of the headset. This gives you access to the USB port and the headphone ports.
- Doesn't have a spring loaded clip that toggles the volume.
- The button only works if your phone is juussst right.
- Aligning the phone can be tricky, It just sits there.
- Because the screen sits closer to your face, if your phone has a crappy screen, it's easier to see pixelation.
After buying this bad boy, I think I'm going to sit out from buying any more cheap cardboard headsets. This one is the one to beat, and I can't think of anything that would beat it at this price point. Maybe the Samsung Gear VR, but I don't have a Samsung phone, where I believe most of the benefit comes from.